Rules and Procedures
Classroom Prime Directive
Do not speak when I or another person is speaking. Give the speaker your full attention. This includes but is not limited to the following: No doodling on your white boards. No passing notes to classmates. No whispering to your neighbor. In short this means no vocalizations or gestures that have not been explicitly called for.
Normal Class Participation
Beginning ofClass (Before the tardy bell)
1) Cease any conversations prior to entering the room.
2) Place your electronic devices in a pouch at the front of the room.
3) Move quickly and quietly to your seat.
4) Take out white board and markers, calculator, test ticket and notebook.
5) Begin working on the warm up activity for the day.
1) If you have a question or are answering a questionposed by me, raise your hand without speaking.
2) When acknowledged by me, present your question or statement.
Using Student White Boards
1) Work the problem out in an appropriate manner and writeyour answer on your board.
2) Place your white board face down on your desk to inhibit others from seeing your answer.
3) Raise your hand to notify me you have an answer.
4) When called for, raise your white board in unison (all at once) with the rest of the class and I will provide feedback on your answer.
Entering/Exiting the Room
Entering AfterRestroom Break During Class
1) Knock gently on the door when you return. Do not kick the door, pound the door or rattle the door handle.
2) Walk directly to your seat to minimize any possible disruption to the rest of the class.
1) Please walk to the door slowly, safely and quietly tominimize any possible disruption to the rest of the class.
2) Close the door carefully behind you attempting tominimize noise. (Please do not slam thedoor).
Exiting At theEnd of Class
1) At the end of class, wait to be excused by me.
2) I may elect to end class providing you some extra timeto pack up your supplies and prepare to leave the room. Do so quietly maintaining a group voice if engaging in conversations.
3) When excused by me, pack up your supplies and walk in an orderly, safe and courteous manner to the door.
4) Please walk
Moving Around the Room/Getting Supplies/Etc.
1) Please walk to your intended destination with care.
2) When passing fellow students, be courteous and avoid disrupting their current activities.
3) Make your actions purposeful to minimize the loss oftime required for the given activity you are engaging in.
4) If your purpose is to retrieve supplies for anactivity, retrieve those supplies efficiently and return to your seat.
Handing In “In-Class” Work
1) Wait until you are requested to turn in your work.
2) Pass your work courteously to the person identified by me.
3) Pass the work forward until they are all handed to theperson in the front most row.
4) I will retrieve them from that person.
Taking Quizzes and Tests
1) When directed by me, sharpen pencils, etc. in preparation for the test/quiz.
2) Take everything off your desk except those items that are explicitly allowed by me.
3) Please do not speak during the test/quiz. If you have a question, raise your hand and I will come to your desk. Ask your question in a low whisper that would not be audible by a neighbor.
4) When you are finished with the test/quiz, turn it over ony our desk and raise your hand. I will pickup your test/quiz.
5) When the test/quiz time expires, put down your pencil and turn the test over on your desk.
Working in Groups
· Cooperative work groups will have 2 to 4 peopledepending on the activity.
· On activities with one partner, work with aneighbor as instructed by me.
1. Larger groups will be formed by various methods asprescribed by me.
2. If necessary move to the area of the room where themajority of your groups members are located.
3. Turn desks carefully so they fact each other.
4. Follow the instructions for the activity provided by me.
5. When working with partners or in small groups, use aquiet voice that is loud enough to communicate with your group members, but notloud enough to be heard by others.
6. At the conclusion of the activity, return deskscarefully to their original positions and return to your original seat.
Restroom Policy and Restroom Breaks
1) To request the use of a restroom pass, raise your handand wait until acknowledged by me.
2) Please ask politely to use the restroom.
3) Exit the room quietly and return in the same way inorder to minimize class disruption.
1) Follow the same procedure we use to exit the room atthe end of class
2) Leave all materials behind
3) Turn right and exit the building in an orderly fashionand proceed 50 yards from the building.
4) Stay together.
Silence – During lectures and working independently
When listening to me or when working at your desk on in-classassignments like bell work, homework or other activities you would do on yourown such as quizzes and tests.
The purpose is to allow others around to focus on their workas well as to allow you to be effective in your work.
Whisper - One on one with a partner
When working on a team of two people, your communicationshould be between the two of you. Awhisper will allow your team to communicate without disrupting the othermembers of the class.
Quiet Voice – Cooperative groups
When working in groups of three or four, it may be necessaryto speak in a low conversational tone so the rest of the team can hearyou. The object is to allow your team tocommunicate without disrupting the concentration of other groups in the class.
Classroom Voice – Teacher teaching, Classroom discussion
This voice level is used to answer questions in class so theentire class can hear. The teacherspeaking to the class is an example of classroom voice. When you present information for the rest ofthe class to hear, use classroom voice. This voice should be loud enough for the rest of the class to hear butnot so loud that others in other classes can hear.
· Homework Assignments:
HW or Homework chapter-section
· Bellwork Assignments:
5MC or BW chapter-section
Chapter XX Exam
Chapter 1 Exam