Updated August 2021
The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
- Polo-style shirts with collars, long or short sleeve
- Dress-style shirts or blouses with collars, long or short sleeve
- Aubrey ISD spirit t-shirts must be in red, white, blue or gray. The shirts have to be screen-printed red, white, blue or gray and have no added decoration. The only colors they can have on them are red, white, blue or gray.
- Shirts can be no longer than where your fist naturally falls by your side.
- Shirts must be fastened to at least 3 inches from the top of the collar.
- Shirts must be appropriately sized.
- T-shirts without collars that are not Aubrey ISD spirit shirts
- Sleeveless or cap sleeves are not acceptable.
- See-through, sheer, or mesh fabrics are not acceptable.
- Shirts that reveal skin around the waist when the student is sitting, bending, or reaching are not acceptable.
- A shirt that displays ANY name, symbol, slogan, or store/designer brand that is larger than 1.5” X 1.5” (excluding spirit wear) is not acceptable (limited to one per article of clothing).
- Shirts that contain or symbolize any provocative, offensive, violent, drug, tobacco, macabre, gothic, or gang references are not acceptable.
- Tank tops, sleeveless, spaghetti strapped or camisole type shirts may not be worn even over collared or other acceptable shirts. (No layering of shirts except those worn under an approved collared shirt or spirit t-shirt)
- Solid color pleated or flat front docker-style slacks appropriately hemmed with no holes, frays, or patches
- Solid color denim jeans appropriately hemmed with no holes, frays, or patches
- Solid color capris, walking style shorts (including cargo type), skirts or skorts with no holes, frays, or patches and a hem (including the slit, kick-pleat) no shorter than three inches above the knee
- Pants must be worn at the waist at all times.
- Pants must be appropriately sized.
- Belts must be worn (optional for grades K-5).
- Sagging or bagging pants are not acceptable.
- Leisurewear, sweats or athletic wear, ballerina or dance wear, pajama, suede, leather, spandex, mesh, net, or tulle fabrics are not acceptable.
- Overall pants, shorts or dresses are not acceptable.
Dresses, Tunics, Jumpers, Rompers
- Dresses, tunics, jumpers, and rompers must be long or short sleeved, with a hem (including the slit, kick-pleat) must be no shorter than three inches above the knee.
- Dresses, tunics, or jumpers must be appropriately sized.
- Sleeveless, spaghetti strapped, camisole type or cap sleeved dresses or tunics are not acceptable at any time.
- See-through, sheer, or mesh fabrics are not acceptable.
Shoes, Socks, Hose/Tights
- Tennis or other athletic shoes
- Sandals originally manufactured with a heel strap
- Dress shoes or other shoes manufactured with a heel strap
- Shoes must have a rubber, leather, hard plastic or other durable sole
- Solid, unadorned, hose/tights/leggings/jeggings worn under a dress that follows all dress regulations above
- Shoes must be appropriately sized
- Military type boots, flip-flops, house-shoes, slippers, and water shoes are not acceptable.
- Mismatched shoes and socks are not acceptable.
- Print or multicolored hose/tights are not acceptable
Outerwear: Sweaters, Jackets, Coats, Sweatshirts, and Hoodies
- Outerwear may be worn if appropriate to the weather conditions.
- Sweaters, hoodies, and sweatshirts must be worn over a shirt that follows all shirt regulations above.
- Jackets and coats worn over a shirt that follows all shirt regulations above.
- Outerwear must be appropriately sized.
- Sleeveless or cap sleeved outwear is not acceptable.
- Outerwear that contains or symbolizes any provocative, offensive, violent, drug, tobacco, macabre, gothic, or gang references are not acceptable.
- Trench coats or dusters are not acceptable.
- Students are expected to exhibit basic cleanliness and grooming that will not be a health or safety threat to themselves or to other students/staff.
- Student’s hair must be clean and neatly groomed.
- Student’s hair, by the nature of the style or color, shall not tend to create an educational distraction.
- Student’s hair must be a natural color or shade.
- Bangs or hair must not obstruct the student’s vision at any time.
- Hairbands may be worn to ensure proper vision at all times.
- Distracting styles (i.e., mohawks) will not be allowed.
- No sculpting designs will be allowed in the hair or eyebrow.
- Goatees, beards, mustaches, and other facial hair are not permitted. Sideburns must be neatly trimmed and no longer than the bottom of the earlobe.
- Hats and caps are not permitted in the school building.
- Tattoos must be hidden from view at all times.
- Students may wear earrings that are appropriate and not distracting (pins, spikes, or gauges are not acceptable).
- Visible body piercings such as tongue rings, eyebrow or nose piercings are not acceptable.
- Sunglasses may not be worn in the building unless approved with a physician’s note.
- Excessive make-up or jewelry is not acceptable.
The district reserves the right to prohibit any clothing or grooming style that the administration determines to pose health or safety hazards or that may cause the disruption of, distraction from, or interference with general school operations. The district also reserves the right to alter the dress code for special occasions as deemed necessary by the campus administrator.
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student may be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until the problem is corrected, or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school. Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.