Our Town

  • Old Peanut Factory in Aubrey

  • Aubrey is located in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, 12 miles northeast of Denton and 40 miles north of Dallas in northeastern Denton County.

    The Texas and Pacific Railway built a section house in 1881 at this location and called it Onega. The name was not popular so Aubrey was picked from a hat. A charter for a post office was granted and was set up in the railroad depot.

    Lemual Noah Edwards, a Civil War veteran from Alabama, is credited for founding the town despite Dr. George Key establishing the Key Schoolhouse settlement in 1858, a mile from the future downtown Aubrey.

    Edwards built the town’s second house, which was a large, two-story structure made of lumber brought in from Jefferson in 1867. After the first businesses burned in 1887 east of the railroad tracks, the town was rebuilt west of the tracks on land donated by Edwards. He gave each of his 10 children land on which to build homes as wedding presents, aiding in the growth of the town.

    Aubrey grew to more than 30 businesses and a population of 700 by 1920. The population dwindled over the next several years due to the automobile, the boll weevil and the Great Depression. In the 1980’s, peanuts replaced cotton as the No. 1 crop, averaging 3,000 tons in the local drying plant annually.

    The sandy, fertile land and the moderate climate attracted horse ranchers to the area, leading to the moniker of the “horse capital of Texas” by some. Other farm products include cattle, hay, fruits and vegetables.

    In 1980 Aubrey had a population of 948. In 1986, the Ray Roberts Dam was completed near the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. In 1990 Aubrey had a population of 1,138, growing to 1,500 in 2000.

    As of 2016, Aubrey's population has grown to 3,352. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 194.55 percent.

    Source - Texas State Historical Association